Saturday 2 July 2011

4th of July nails


Hello everyone! For today's post I made 4th of July nails for my American readers. Holidays are always a fun theme for manis, so I was very excited to do some nail art for Independence Day, eventhough I do not celebrate it myself. The look is clearly inspired by the American flag, albeit with subtle changes, and tape was my #1 tool. I really couldn't have made the designs without it.
In total I used four different polishes: a red from Etos (Dutch drugstore), China Glaze's 2030 as my gold, First Mate as the blue base color and for the white stripes I used China Glaze Millenium, which is a silver. I picked a silver instead of a white because I thought it would pop more. But also because I didn't want the stripes to look too much like a candy cane or a Christmas elf ;) As mentioned earlier, tape was my magic helper in this little project. I used it to create both the stripes and big star shapes, which are supposed to be stylized fireworks, can you tell? ;)




To make the firework shapes I basically used the same technique as the one for the zigzag pattern, only I started at one corner of the tip, working my way back to the beginning of the nail (at the cuticles). So I started with the blue, then the gold on top and finally I applied the red. If you don't know what I'm talking about, just visit the tutorial for the zigzag pattern and hopefully it will all make sense then :)
Of course our flag wouldn't be complete without stars, so I added those afterwards with a (nameless) stamping plate from Essence.



I hope you guys like my first 4th of July nails and that they may have even inspired you to make a cute mani for monday :) Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment